Flickr Widget

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

And she scores!!!!

The big estate sale was today. My daughter and I went with my grandson in tow, which is no mean feat. She took the first leg of shopping in the back yard and two outside sheds, while I watched Holden. She found a teak coffee table base and matching end table base for $4 each. She also picked up two great suitcase-style album cases for old 33 1/3 LPs for $3 each.

When she paid for those purchases and loaded them into the car, I passed the baby off to her, and I started shopping indoors. I bought a great wire magazine rack for $3, a Frankoma bud vase for $2, a Van Briggle bud vase for $7, a West Bend Penguin Hot & Cold server from the 1960s for $4 and the piece de resistance, a #5815 Blenko decanter designed by Wayne Husted with a sandblasted logo that was only used between 1958 and 1961…for only $22.50. I came straight home and found three identical decanters online, priced at $335, $375 and $395.

My $38.50 purchase is probably worth in the neighborhood of $425-500. You’ve just gotta love estate sales.


1950s wire magazine rack for $3

1960s West Bend Hot & Cold server for $4

Frankoma Plainsman bud vase for $2, Van Briggle bud vase for $7
...and 1958 Blenko decanter for $22.50

Update: The table bases turned out to be by Adrian Pearsall, so I underestimated the value of our purchases just a tad.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent work! I love the magazine rack and that is by far the cleanest hot & cold server I've ever seen. Seriously those things are usually so beat up and rusted.

    ReplyDelete