Flickr Widget

Friday, June 29, 2012

Update: M. G. Wheeler Sightlight

Almost a year ago, I posted about Sightlight lamps. At the time, I had found one on Craigslist but knew very little about it. After the original post, I continued my research but turned up few facts. Interestingly, though, people continued to comment...either to volunteer more information or to ask questions.

A couple of days ago, yet another comment prompted me to start searching again, and I finally hit paydirt. The Sightlight was designed by Leroy C. Doane. He filed for a patent on June 7, 1946, and the patent was granted on October 5, 1948. The lamps were manufactured by M. G. Wheeler Co., Inc. of Greenwich, Connecticut. I've seen photos of marked lamps with different bases, arms and tops, so several variations must have been manufactured. That's the subject for further investigation.

But for all of you who have wanted to know who the designer was...another mystery solved.


liveauctioneers.com

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I borrowed Max's shoe phone and made a few calls. :)

      Delete
  2. Cool, you are a super sleuth of vintage style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elementary, my dear Hartman. :) (You and Pippa and I are knocking it out today with the literary allusions, huh?)

      Delete
  3. I am so thrilled to find your post! A few months ago, I was at my local Habitat ReStore and spotted a floor model with a pale gray finish. I had not seen one previously, but was completely captivated, checked the price tag - NINE dollars! Even came with a working lightbulb! It stands proud beside our bed and now I know a bit more about my beloved lamp. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete