Flickr Widget

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Carl Auböck

Carl Auböck 
Carl Auböck (1900-1957) was an Austrian designer. He completed an apprenticeship to a bronze and chisel worker in his parents' workshop from 1914-1917 and then studied painting at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna from 1917-1919. From 1919-1921 he was a student of Johannes Itten at the Bauhaus in Weimar. In 1926 he took over the family business.

In the late 1920s and 1930s, he continued to produce the same product line his parents had sold, but his paintings soon became recognized as masterpieces of Austrian Modernism.

In the 1940s the workshop began to produce small lamps and furniture, as well as very high quality handcrafted accessories, and he began to achieve international attention. In the late 1940s, Auböck was joined in the business by his son. In 1954 reached the height of his career when he received four gold medals at the Milan Triennale. His distinctive designs form the core of the current Carl Auböck collection, which is still produced by the family today in the shop where four generations have worked.

From originalinberlin.com and 


Early bowl
1stdibs.com

Live edge table
architonic.com

Bookends
originalinberlin.com

Coat rack
mondocane.com

Fruit basked
etsy.com - modernspecific

Magazine rack
1stdibs.com

Brass watering can
svpply.com

Ashtray
moma.org

Bronze bird
antiquehelper.com

Wall shelf
mondocane.com

Corkscrews and bottle openers
maharam.com

Brass lamp
1stdibs.com

Pitcher and glasses
1stdibs.com

Ring vase
originalinberlin.com

8 comments:

  1. I like his aesthetic. All pieces are beautiful but the bronze bird and the shelf are my personal picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I'm on a bird kick lately, I'd love to have that one!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I'm totally in love with the bronze bird!! And the magazine rack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter fell in love with their booth at ICFF and wants to carry their line of accessories in our store. I know where I'll be spending my money if we do.

      Delete
  3. I have to read your blog when I'm alone because I audibly gasp at every picture and if someone was hear I know they'd think I was having an asthma attack ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd feel better if someone is at least in the house with you, in case you suck a Dorito down the wrong pipe and need the Heimlich Maneuver done. :)

      Delete
  4. I really like that coat rack and wall shelf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have one of those coat racks on the back of my front door.

      Delete