Flickr Widget

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Back in the day: The flirtatious frog

From the 1940s through the 1960s, the flirty little frog kept popping up as a closure on women's lingerie. From bed jackets (which probably deserve a post all their own) to pajamas to slinky nightgowns, all were made more exotic by Asian-inspired frogs.

I had a pair of pink satin pajamas and matching quilted robe with frog closures when I was a child in the mid-1950s. In the late 1960s, my then-husband brought a beautiful turquoise silk kimono home to me when he returned from a tour of duty overseas.

One look at these gorgeous vintage pieces explains their popularity. I predict a fashion comeback.


quiltmuseum.org.uk

vintagevixen.com

etsy.com - WaldportVintage

etsy.com - PuraVidaVintage

etsy.com - SoubretteVintage

etsy.com - darkstarvintage

etsy.com - WaldportVintage

6 comments:

  1. Such beautiful pieces! I love the quilted one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That photo came from a quilt museum. Isn't it gorgeous?

      Delete
  2. Do you remember the dress Nicole Kidman wore to the Oscars with then husband Tom Cruise? The chartreuse or yellow dress from Etsy reminds me of it. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten about her dress, but you're absolutely right. It did have a lot of beautiful Asian-influenced embroidery, very much like these have.

      Delete
  3. Oh, these are sooo gorgeous, very 40s Hollywood! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandfather had a very elegant sister, and she wore things like that first bed jacket. I used to love visiting her and trying on her shoes! :)

      Delete