Flickr Widget

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Georges Briard

Jascha Brojdo, aka Georges Briard
Jascha Brojdo (1917-2005) was born in the Ukraine and moved to Poland with his family when he was four years old. He attended the University of Chicago and the Art Institute of Chicago.

In 1937 he moved to Chicago to live with his physician uncle and attend school. While he was there, war broke out in Europe, and he lost both parents. He stayed in Chicago, received his MFA from the Art Institute and then joined the U. S. Army as an interpreter. He served on General George S. Patton's staff and was discharged in 1947.

He then went to work with Max Wille, whom he had met in art school. Brojdo was a painter and wanted to use his own name for his art pieces, so he and Wille came up with a pseudonym for him to use on his commercial decorator pieces: Georges because it sounded French and Briard for a breed of dog Wille had owned.

Briard pieces were tremendously successful from the 1950s through the 1970s and were sold at stores such as Neiman Marcus and Bonwit Teller. His finest designs were first produced by the M. Wille Company and later in a partnership with Philip Stetson. His work is easy to identify, as much of it is done in 22K gold and is always signed.

In 2004 he was awarded the Frank S. Child Lifetime Achievement Award by The Society of Glass and Ceramic Decorators, in honor of his extraordinary contributions to the glass and ceramic decorating industry.

From anthologyhouse.net, nytimes.com, artfact.com


Mosaic lamps
1stdibs.com
Ice bucket and tongs
1stdibs.com

Highball glasses
etsy.com - Babylon Sisters

Carousel dinnerware
etsy.com - BellaVintageANDMore

Midas vase for Hyalyn
trippedoutatomic.com

Midas lamps
1stdibs.com

Pineapple canister
shopantiquaria.com

Forbidden Fruit glasses
styleandsalvage.com

Forbidden Fruit tea set
fab.com

Persian Garden plate with signature
anthologyhouse.com

Pronunciation Guide


14 comments:

  1. I'm learning new things from your blog everyday Dana. The gold does make his work very distinctive. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though not all of his work is to my taste, I do find some of it beautiful. I'd love to have a set of Carousel dinnerware or that Forbidden Fruit tea set. I certainly remember how popular it was in the 50s, 60s and 70s. The glam thing was definitely going on at the same time sleek and simple designs were popular.

      Delete
  2. His work is pretty cool, and still can be fairly easily found. Some of his designs are a little too fussy or glitzy for me, but he is always interesting.

    What...free chair? Have to go look. :) Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they must have produced a ton of it. In fact, I was surprised to find it on 1stdibs. I think those sellers are a bit optimistic about the prices they're asking. They even produced a line that could be purchased with S & H Green Stamps. We had an ice bucket a couple of years ago that was still in the original box with the Green Stamp information on it. I'm sure the line that was sold at Neiman's was nicer. :)

      Delete
  3. I enjoy these profile posts. If you are taking suggestions for future ones, I'd love to learn more about Jack Van Der Molen for Jamestown Lounge Co./ Americana line. I run on to their amazing organic / sculptural / modern 1950s pieces once in a blue moon while trolling Craigslist, but they are rarely identified by designer or company. Thanks again & keep up the good work!

    p.s. here's an example from Santa Cruz craigslist that shows some unusual pieces: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/fuo/3981251401.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a quick Google search and couldn't find any biographical information about Jack Van Der Molen. I'll keep an eye out.

      Delete
  4. I have come across a wooden bowl (size as in fruit) marked M Georges Briard W . I see the Glass and ceramic pieces but not many wood pieces. Any information ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a set of wooden bowls I believe were made by Georges Briard when he signed his name Brojdo. I would like to verify that they are his but I don't know where to start. Is there an expert on his life and work?

      Delete
    2. I know that Leslie Pina wrote a book entitled Designed and Signed that included information about his work, but I don't think it included wooden ware.

      Delete
  5. Although wood was part of the regular line going back to the 60's in the late '70's into the mid 80's Georges Briard Inc developed an extensive line of wood serveware, ice buckets and decorative accessories like trays and bar carts. Most of the items were designed in the USA but produced in Thailand of either solid teak or solid beechwood. In the mid to late 80's there was even a line of decorative paper mache pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting information. Thanks for sharing it.

      Delete
    2. Does anyone know about the wooden ware he made under the name Brojdo?

      Delete
    3. I hope some reader will be able to give you the information you're looking for.

      Delete
  6. I have a small Georges Briard enamelware dish that I have not been able to identify, find the pattern name or even a picture of another piece with the same pattern. I was hoping you or one of your followers might know of it. I would send a picture, but unfortunately it is packed up in storage and I'm not able to get to it, but I'll give you a description. It is a small (approx. 8" or 1 guart), lidded, with no handle, baking dish with a pale yellow background color and a "Mexican" motif decoration on the lid (like sombrerros (sp?), peppers, etc. His name is in gold on the lid. Have you ever seen or heard of it? If you could help me I'd appreciate it because I've searched the internet and even looked in the few reference books I've been able to find and nothing. I was left numerous, actually tons, of vintage items throughout my Mother's home and packed up in her basement and am trying to reference them for values, patterns, etc. so that I can sell some of them. I love them all dearly, but just don't have the room for them all. My Mother was a hoarder and real estate agent, so I don't know if these things belonged to my aunt who lived with her til her death or things she got from customers when they left their homes.

    ReplyDelete