Flickr Widget

Friday, November 22, 2013

An enviable collection: Vitra miniatures

Midcentury Magazine posted a fascinating interview with Vitra miniature collector and interior architect Tom Giannini. His collection numbers 215 chairs, mostly bought on eBay. Giannini was given a Vitra miniature as a party favor years ago, and he was hooked.

When asked what his best find was, he didn't hesitate. It's his Eames cowhide covered LCW. According to Giannini, there were only about 100 made, and it took him five years to find one on eBay.

I see several on those shelves that I'd love to have...and I wouldn't even be greedy and demand the cowhide LCW.


Vitra miniatures
midcenturymagazine.com

Tom Giannini and his miniature chairs
charlotteluxford.wordpress.com

To read more about Vitra miniatures, you can check out a post I wrote in 2011.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, what a collection! I be the paid a fortune for the cowhide LCW, being as rare as it is....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I bet! He warned in the article that this is a very expensive hobby.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. If I remember correctly, he said he has only 16 to go before he owns one of every chair that's been produced. Wow!

      Delete