Flickr Widget

Monday, November 18, 2013

Nelson lamps galore

Almost every mid-century maven is familiar with George Nelson bubble lamps. They have a special place in most of our hearts, even if we don't own one. We've all seen beautiful interiors with the iconic ball, saucer and cigar, like these:


lauramannesdesign.com


However, flipping through the 1964 Howard Miller Lighting catalog, complete with 1964 pricing, that Modernica posted on their blog reveals many more lamps that you can add to your wish list, including net lights, stackables and metallics. Here are just a few pages from the catalog to whet your appetite.


modernica.com

modernica.com

modernica.com

modernica.com

modernica.com


I don't know what makes the greater impression on me...the gorgeous shapes available or the low 1964 prices!

12 comments:

  1. You should see how much those lights cost in Australia...Yikes! But they are still on my wishlist!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What would one of the more common shaped lights cost? We just sold a large vintage cigar table lamp for $450, and the new ones sell for $425 from Modernica.

      Delete
  2. They are disgustingly expensive here too....as is everything else! Loved seeing the old catalogue pages, Dana, so many I haven't seen before. What a fascinating geometry project they are!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't old catalogs fun? As a teenager, I said, "Who needs this geometry stuff?" Years later, I see how vital it is to all the things I'm fascinated with now...architecture, industrial design. Yet another idiotic, youthful comment to add to the list. :)

      Delete
  3. If only I could time travel, I'll bring me one of those metalites that I can afford. ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You build the time machine, and I'll be right there with you, buying a truckload of those $25 lamps!

      Delete
  4. Didn't they have some of these in the Brady Bunch house?
    I have not seen any of these in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, such style! Thanks for sharing Dana. A small fortune, if they can be found. I find most lamps today boring, ugly, or both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you about today's lamps. I hardly ever see one I like.

      Delete
  6. What a lamp!
    I will come on the time machine too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you ever been to Howard Wang's on NW Hwy at Inwood? Nelson lamps galore. They have pretty good food too :)

    ReplyDelete