Flickr Widget

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Perfect plantings: Daffodils and crocus

Although our summer was relatively mild as Texas summers go, there were still plenty of 104-degree days (40 C), and we just got back from vacation in the western part of the state, where we hit the sand dunes on a day when it was 109 (43 C). No wonder my mind has been wandering in the direction of cooler weather.

I decided to add a few new perennials to our garden, which produced some beautiful yellow and purple iris last spring, so I ordered 50 daffodil bulbs to put in a raised bed and 50 crocus bulbs for the flower bed and window boxes.

I remember how excited I was as a child when the first blooms pushed bravely through the cold earth (and sometimes snow) to herald spring, so I asked my grandsons to help me choose just the right flowers for us. To my delight, they chose the same purple, yellow and white mix my mother planted in the 1950s.


Tete-a-Tete daffodils
gertens.com

Crocus
edenbrothers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment