Flickr Widget

Monday, November 10, 2014

New old door

The main house on the "Mid2Mod compound" got a facelift recently. My SIL got a free vintage door (yes, you heard me right...free) some time back and had it restored. He and his very handy dad cut it to fit and installed it a week or so ago. Not only does it look more in keeping with the 1950 construction date of the house, but its windows really brighten the interior of the house.

It's painted orange (Sherwin Williams Copper Mountain) inside and out, so my daughter is looking at a bright, new multi-colored rug and some new furniture. A new door is as good an excuse to redecorate as any, right?

On the to-buy list as well is a new flush-mount porch light that won't hang down and obstruct the view of the door. The current fixture appears to be original to the house, judging by the wiring, but it has to go. The cedar ceiling stays.








Along with a fantastic piece of art done by one of my daughter's artist friends, there's a Hot Wheels track on the wall in the entryway (a birthday present to Grandson #1 from me, in fact). Ah, the joys of having boys around! Thank goodness for Command strips.

14 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! The windows and color are perfect. I love driving through old neighborhoods and seeing who still has their original, beautiful mid-century doors, and who has updated to something boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always pains me to see a great mid-century home with a completely out-of-character door. I guess those homeowners really have no idea how their homes looked when new.

      Delete
  2. Nice! The light really needs to go. Perhaps match the mailbox finish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the light. I always intended to change it when I lived in the main house, because it was too traditional Mission-style almost, but the door was a traditional 3-panel, so they didn't look bad together. This new door is screaming for a new fixture. The mail box is brushed nickel and matte black, and they're looking at flush-mount brushed nickel fixtures.

      Delete
  3. Dana, the door and color are awesome. Especially love the placement of the windows. I can't decide what color to paint our new door (aqua, chartreuse or orange). If we go with orange, it's definitely going to be THAT orange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you like it. We must have looked at a million orange paint chips before settling on this one, but I'm so glad we chose it. It looks just as good on the recessed south-facing front porch of the main house as it does on the west-facing front door of my little house out back. It manages to be a vivid orange without being garish, I think, both in shade and direct sun.

      We have a neighbor whose door is chartreuse, and I love it. Her brick is a pale cream, and it looks fantastic.

      Delete
  4. The style of the door is just like my Grandma D's, but she painted hers an unfortunate shade of Pepto Bismol pink whilst my grandfather was away on a fishing trip.
    There was a HUGE fooferaw when he returned. My grandmother won - Grampa? He never used the front door again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a cute story. Grampa knew when to compromise, didn't he? I guess he just drove to the back of the house with his eyes closed. :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful orange door, Dana. I want to to see the Hot Wheels on the wall. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, believe me, there's no shortage of boy things on walls around here. Right now, in addition to the Hot Wheels track, there are all manner of spooky Halloween rubbery self-stick ghosts and ghouls that managed to get smuggled out of the storage box before it went to the attic. I guess we're lucky they're as easy to remove as Command strips.

      Delete
  6. OH that looks SHARP! Nothing like new life in a fresh coat of paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing what paint can do, especially in the hands of someone who paints for a living and has all the right equipment.

      Delete
  7. Like eyes are the window to the soul.. doors are so important! Finding a classic mid century door still in tact is a joy, and your new old door looks super slick and up to date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's solid wood, and the refinisher was able to sand it perfectly smooth and then spray paint it. I love the way it turned out.

      Delete