Flickr Widget

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

High Point Market

My SIL is in High Point, North Carolina, to attend the largest furnishings industry trade show in the world.

The High Point Market attracts more than 75,000 buyers every April and October. They come from all over the world to view new products offered by over 2000 exhibitors. The exhibit covers 11.5 million square feet of showspace in 180 buildings.

The show started in 1909 as the Southern Furniture Market and changed names in 1989. Two of the main buildings are the Showplace building and the International Home Furnishings Center.


Showplace
wikipedia.org

International Home Furnishings Center
imcenter.com

Mid-century aficionados recognize North Carolina as home to such companies as Thayer Coggin and Kent-Coffey.


5 comments:

  1. It's probably good that I have a *mostly* specific taste. Otherwise, a furniture show could be a dangerous thing! Although if your SIL goes once or twice a year, he's certainly got a plan and not likely to be an impulsive buyer like I would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He says the place is so gigantic that you're too exhausted most of the time to do much impulsive buying! :)

      Delete
  2. I'd love attending, but doubt I could drag the Great Scot along, lol. Love your new photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would have had a great time attending too...about 20 years ago!!! My SIL said it was unbelievably tiring. 11.5 million square feet...can you believe that? He showed me photos of hallways that went on and on and on.

      Delete
  3. I think he had a lot more fun looking at the pictures on his phone and talking about what he saw there than he did walking those endless miles of showrooms.

    ReplyDelete