Flickr Widget

Monday, July 11, 2016

Work, work, and more work

Life these days reminds me of an old song: Welcome back, my friends, to the show that never ends...

For the past few weeks, it seems we haven't had the house to ourselves except to sleep. A steady stream of estimators coming to give us bids has been followed by painters, plumbers, door installers, and handymen. As I was starting this post, an electrician was working in the next room, dropping wiring and installing a switch for a new ceiling fan in the living room. After that, he moved to the kitchen to install a switch for the garbage disposal that the plumber put in a few days ago and then removed an old ceiling fan and light fixture in the family room and relocated new ones. The new front doors will be painted on Tuesday, and that ought to be it for a while.

Since I'm pretty chatty, one upside to all the traffic is that I've met a lot of nice people lately. The far more important upside is that the house is almost back to normal modern. Within an hour or so, all the curlicues of past "updates" made to our 1950 home will be gone.

And thanks to the magic of Craigslist, old light fixtures and ceiling fans were hauled off from the curb less than an hour after I posted them as give-aways. The last two that will come down today should be gone soon too.

As hard as it's been, I've waited to hang pictures until all this work was finished, so it looks as if I have a busy week ahead of me, but at least I'll be working in relative solitude (meaning no workmen, only a 5- and 6-year-old for company).


Starting to come together

14 comments:

  1. Really nice, Dana! Can't wait to see more pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Things still look pretty blah with no pictures on the wall. As soon as I take about three loads of fan/light fixture packing material to the trash drop-off, I plan to get going with my hammer and nails. Lots more pics will follow.

      Delete
  2. You can then relax with a free small Slurpee today at 7-11 until 7 pm, they are celebrating their 50 year anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a 7-Eleven just down the hill from our house. I might have to load up the boys and go get a treat. I had no idea that they had been in business that long. Since they're headquartered in Dallas, you'd think there would have been a lot more hoopla around here lately.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful Dana! Is that a Terrazzo floor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pam, it is. We need to have it professionally cleaned and polished, and it should look like new!

      Delete
  4. Looks beautiful Dana. Love that floor! And your light fitting! And your original(?) oven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kylie. We're in love with the terrazzo floor too. It needs a little cleaning/grouting, and then it will be great. The light fixture is a "mid-century style" new one, but the oven and stove top are original.

      Delete
  5. We're into our 3rd year remodeling a Usonian style home in the Westcliff area. We're doing alot of the work ourselves - painting, trim work, etc and it sometimes seems like that's all we do and that it will never end. At least during that time I didn't move twice like you've had to! The house looks beautiful. Looking forward to seeing more pictures. Also, wondering if anyone knows of a MCM enthusiast social group in the FW area. It would be fun to get to know people who share the same interests. And see their houses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is your house that gorgeous one that's built so low you can almost step onto the roof from the driveway? I don't know of a formal group of MCM lovers in FW, but we should form one. I know several people who would love to participate.

      Delete
  6. That's the one. 4050 Glenavon Ct. It is not a rare thing for my neighbors to find me on the roof painting!! I'm painting the exterior myself and it's taking forever. And I would definitely be up for a group. I know there are alot of us out there. And did I remember that your SIL had something to do with DWR at Northpark? I work at Northpark a couple of days a week. I'm their CPA (Northpark and the Nashers - not DWR) and do all of their tax work. I've been in the store several times. Will have to seek him out and say hi sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must have seen your house just before you bought it. Even before renovating, it was gorgeous, so I can only imagine how spectacular it is now after your having worked on it for three years. I'd love to see it. And, yes, my ex-SIL does work at Northpark for DWR. He still has lots of contacts in the MCM world since he had a store for several years. I have other local contacts through the blog and the Mid Century-Modern Tarrant, Parker and Dallas County Facebook page that I'm sure would love to form a group.

      Delete
  7. We must have seen your house just before you bought it. Even before renovating, it was gorgeous, so I can only imagine how spectacular it is now after your having worked on it for three years. I'd love to see it. And, yes, my ex-SIL does work at Northpark for DWR. He still has lots of contacts in the MCM world since he had a store for several years. I have other local contacts through the blog and the Mid Century-Modern Tarrant, Parker and Dallas County Facebook page that I should reach out to. Also, I joined your blog so I'll be ready when you start posting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a blog?? I wasn't aware. Perhaps I should look myself up and see what I'm up to :) I'm very interested in a MCM group. And I would love to show you the house. It's always fun when people who knew the before see the after. My email is traley@earthlink.net if you want to get in touch. I'm Terry.

    ReplyDelete